Sunday, April 11, 2010

Game 6 - Red Sox v. Royals (@Kauffman)


My wife and I went to see 'Hot Tub Time Machine' today, so I only caught a couple of quick updates on my phone. Seems that Ramon Ramirez needs to get his act straightened out, but at least the offense is showing encouraging signs early in the season (especially important given all the concern there was about run production before the season started).

Now back to the movie...I thought it was pretty good. It did well on my personal 'pillars of movie greatness' in that it was dumb, funny and short. I should come up with some kind of ranking system for this, maybe:

Dumb(0-3 stooges), where 0 means I had to think alot, and 3 means it was on par with the best episodes that featured Shemp, who was always in my favorite Three Stooges episodes as a kid.

Funny (0-10 LOLs) - I don't generally laugh out loud all that much, so if a movie can get me to 6 or 7, that's pretty good. The 10+ range is reserved for classics like Valley Girl or Fletch (both of which I freely admit were a lot funnier when I was younger). The genius behind using LOLs is that I actually look somewhat relevant since the Stooges thing dates me a bit :)

Short (1.5 - 2hrs) - Maybe I'll come up with a more clever way of capturing a movie's length (or lack thereof), but using the actual clock time at least sets the bar for where I think a movie should land. Sure I've seen movies longer than 2hrs that I liked, but there's a decreasing chance of me liking a movie the longer it is.

Ok, so where does Hot Tub Time Machine fall?

2.5 Stooges, 8 LOLs and 1hr 40min - in other words, I recommend it. Probably my biggest complaint with it was that I felt like there were a few times where things were out of sync with the time period. Having grown up in the 80s, starting high school in the year the movie took place, 1986, there were some musical references that didn't feel quite right. Most notably the whole Poison thing, seems like 1986 was too early for anyone to care about Poison (a statement that you could probably make about any year now that I think of it).

Anyways, Red Sox are now 3-3 and headed to Minnesota, bring on the Twins!

No comments:

Post a Comment