Sunday, April 4, 2010

Game 1 - Red Sox v. Yankees

Thanks to it being opening day (or evening) and a game between the Sox and Yankees, I was able to watch this one on TV. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the contributions of the new guys (Beltre, Scutaro and Cameron) at the plate. We've all heard plenty about their defense, but the at bats they put together against relatively good pitching were impressive (Sabathia, while not sharp, was still pretty good....can't say the same for the Yankees bullpen). Scutaro especially stuck out for me, probably because I actually have some hope that he'll be a relatively good offensive SS this year. I can't put much stock in either Cameron on Beltre's nights since they have longer track records in the majors (can you believe Beltre is already in his 11th season, and he's only 30?!?).

On the pitching side, I missed Beckett's implosion, but he didn't look sharp to me after he retired the first 5 batters of the game. I also completely missed Okajima's appearance (having kids that go to bed around 7.45 means this will be a recurring theme throughout the season :) ), but Ramirez (not so good), Bard (good) and Papelbon (very good), pitched as well as I could hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment