Monday, April 5, 2010

Game 2 - Red Sox v. Yankees (@ Fenway)

Matchup: Burnett v. Lester

Fresh off signing Beckett to an extension (is there a team with a better outlook on pitching than the Red Sox?), the Sox entered game 2 of the season with a favorable Lester v. Burnett matchup.

To me, Burnett is one of the top 2 'most likely to disappoint' in 2010 candidates on the Yankees (the other being Andy Pettite, but Pettite at least has the age factor to fall back on). I actually don't think Burnett will pitch poorly this year as much as I can't see him throwing as many innings:

Year
2004 120.0
2005 209.0
2006 135.2
2007 165.2
2008 221.1
2009 207.0

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic/anti-Yankees, but I'm looking for Burnett to top out at ~170 innings this year. Ok, now on to tonights game...

Due to getting home around 6.30 (bad traffic here in Bellevue, I'm sure I'll end up ranting about Seattle drivers soon, over/under is game 20, place your bets now), I only caught a few innings tonight on TV. I have Lester on one of my fantasy league teams and was disappointed by the performance tonight, but man, that Yankees lineup is tough, so I can't blame him too much. I caught most of the 7th and 8th, saw Swisher put up what seemed like a 10+ pitch at bat, and then Nick Johnson walk in a run (I know, shocking that Nick Johnson walked)...and saw Cano's blast to right off of Atchison. My quick summary of the game was that the key's for both teams (bullpens) determined the outcome again, yesterday it was the Sox with good performances from Okajima, Bard + Papelbon, and tonight it was the Yankees turn with Aceves, Robertson, Marte, Chamberlain and Rivera.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game (1) because we get to see Lackey's first start for the Sox and (2) I'm going to try mobile blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment