Friday, May 7, 2010

Game 30 - Red Sox v Yankees (@Fenway)


...and this is what I thought might happen. I was hesitant to get excited after the sweep of the Angels because lets face it, the Angels aren't setting the world on fire so the real test was going to be again the Yankees, and while it's only game 1 of the series, it's a tough loss when you've got your nominal #1 starter (emphasis on nominal) going against the other team's nominal #5 starter (again, emphasis on nominal). I hope there's something physically wrong with Beckett, because this was an absolute stinker of a start that saw his ERA skyrocket to 7.46 for the season, that's AWFUL (which is saying something for a guy that had already given up 7+ ER in two out of 6 starts on the season).

I'm not even going to bother discussing the game anymore since talking sports would also remind me of how terrible the Celtics were (I guess LeBron's elbow is ok after all) or how the Bruins lost in overtime...for all the hype over Boston's big sports night, best let it go.

I did see Iron Man 2 this morning though and since I do have a rating system, I figured I'd dust it off and put it to good use. Overall, IM2 wasn't nearly as good as the first one, partly because they screwed up with Mickey Roarke as the villain. He had great potential, but his character was just kinda lame, and what's with the jump rope weapon ('look out Iron Man, I'm going to double-dutch you to death!'). The other big flaw was the attempt to make Tony Stark more 'human' with the storyline about how that thing in his chest is affecting his health. Sorry guys, but what made Robert Downey Jr + Tony Start so great in the first movie was that he was a balls out playboy, rich with tons of women around him and smart enough to build robot suits in his basement, what else could you want? Adding the human element stripped that away a little and made the movie less entertaining (at least it did for me). On the plus side, Scarlett Johansson looked H-O-T, especially in that tight black jumpsuit thingy, rrrrraarrrrrrrrrr. But even that came at a cost as her appearance made Gwyneth Paltrow look, well, old. I've never been a big Gwyneth fan, but thought she looked good in the first movie, but the combination of a couple of years later and Scarlet in a tight jumpsuit was too much for her this time around. Enough with the babe analysis, on to the review:

Dumb (0-3 stooges): ok, so here's a flaw with my rating system...I'd actually rate this as pretty dumb, but not in a good way. I'm going to give it 1 stooge, and it's a Larry...not sure exactly what that means but it seems to fit.

Funny (0-10 LOLs): urgh, another flaw. Didn't I realize that I don't just see comedies, what was I thinking? I think I laughed once (probably at the Larry Ellison cameo), so I'll give it 1 LOL.

Length (1.5-2hrs): I think IM2 was in at just around 2hrs, which puts it at the outer limit of what I can generally tolerate.

So yeah, overall it wasn't that good, and I just realized how flawed my review system is...another thing to be pissed about today!

No comments:

Post a Comment