Thursday, May 6, 2010

Game 29 - Red Sox v. Angels (@Fenway)

Ok, so yeah, I am getting a little more intrigued in this team after a 4 game sweep of the Angels, but I'm holding out on actual optimism until after this weekend against the Yankees, mostly because the Angels are sliding so while sweeping a team that's down is what a good team should be doing, it doesn't exactly prove to me that the Sox are for real just yet. Taking 2 out of 3 against the Yankees this weekend would do that.

On a completely unrelated note (if you're heard to read baseball, you can stop reading, I'm about to go on a work-related rant)...I had one of those 'what the f' moments today at work while trying to do some testing on an upcoming release of my team's software. While trying to use the internal version of our site, I was experiencing just ridiculous slow downs, to the point where I couldn't tell if there were actual bugs v. just slow network connectivity internally. It got so bad that I basically had to stop and wander around, asking my team if they too were seeing similar issues. I got the usual recommendations like 'change your proxy' which is a reasonable thing to suggest, but for some reason today, just flipped my 'what the f' bit and I went on a rant about how ludicrous it is that this kind of stuff is still a problem these days, especially at large corporations that have resources to build great infrastructure for their teams, but don't (or at least sure feel like they don't). I suppose there's a bottom line somewhere that has to be met, but since my employer is certainly very profitable, it doesn't seem that our bottleneck is a lack of resources, but rather a lack of good investment (at least from this engineer's view) of those resources. Of course it didn't help that earlier in the week I spoke with someone who was interested in a coding job on my team, and the guy was just awful, couldn't even get through the basics of my standby C++ question, and yet he's got a job at my company, urgh.

Speaking of wastes of corporate resources, I love this device:

No comments:

Post a Comment