Sunday, May 16, 2010

Games 37 & 38 - Red Sox v. Tigers (@Comerica)


There were a couple of disappointments this weekend. First, my streak of blogging right after each game was broken. It was actually broken on Friday night when I konked out on the couch around 9pm watching something on the Food Network with my wife, too tired to even check the score, never mind crank out one of my exceptionally high quality blog posts, I shuffled off to bed dreaming of Rachel Ray and Guy Fieri in some weird dream that I won't recount here (other than to say, there was food involved). So like an aging slugger, I tried to shrug it off and come back strong on Saturday, but admittedly went the blogging equivalent of 0-4, with a couple of strikeouts (one looking). I wrote about Friday's game but barely checked out the box score and highlights before (or during) my writing. When I went back to review the tape I saw that I wrote one thing (about the Tigers being a good offensive team) without checking my stats to see they're actually a middle-of-the-road offensive team (at least in terms of runs scored). I even caught the error but just posted the blog anyways, not a strong effort at all.

Then on Saturday I spent several hours out in the yard digging up a flower bed to make way for some new dirt. The stuff around my house is all rocks, clay and sand, so even digging a 15ft long x 3ft wide x 1ft deep trench is a back breaker. Everything, including my lifeblood, typing hands (as opposed to my driving hands which are still pristine) was aching so again I shuffled off to bed early. At least last night I had some semblance of hope that things were really turning around for the Red Sox. Earlier in the day we had a guy come buy to go over a window estimate for our house and the guy was a baseball fan (apparently from the Bronx but he was smart enough not to bring this point up too often for fear of losing the sale). He mentioned how Big Papi had a good game the night before and I had just checked Saturday's score on my phone to see more good signs from Papi. The score was 6-2 with a resurgent Lester on the mound so things seemed in good hands.

I wake up today, do some more godawful digging in the yard then come in to have breakfast and check the scores from last night....and they lost. Ok, I think, well at least we can get 2 out of 3 to start the road trip, which at this point is progress. But then Lackey goes out and struggles (again) and we end up losing 2 out of 3 to the Tigers. This shouldn't be a big deal, but when the Red Sox are clearly struggling to get something going, they really need to start putting some series wins together and while the Tigers are good, they're certainly a team that the Red Sox should be taking 2/3 against when Verlander isn't seeing the mound in the series, and Lackey + Lester are.

I'm seriously beginning to lose hope, just as I'm planning a trip back east with my family, and we're picking dates so we can see a Sox game at Fenway.

At least my back feels better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment