Sunday, May 9, 2010

Game 32 - Red Sox v. Yankees (@Fenway)

At the risk of using a dumb superstition, maybe it's me.

Since the game was on ESPN tonight, I settled in at 5 to start watching (it's been 4 years since we moved out here and it's still a little strange for me to watch sports earlier in the day than God intended, but I'm getting there). We (my kids and wife were into it too, after an exciting end to the Celtics game earlier that led into some good bug hunting in the back yard afterwards) watched the first inning and a half. It was around then that realized that we didn't really have anything good to make for dinner, so combine that with it being Mother's day and my daughter already asking about eating out earlier so we went out to pizza to celebrate, on our way out the door it was 1-0.

After we got to the restaurant and ordered, I broke out my phone to check the score and lo and behold, it was now 6-0, and Lester hadn't allowed a hit yet. But no sooner had I hit refresh on my browser a couple of times (I still use the mobile browser even though I have a better app for this stuff, old habits die hard), that the no-hitter was gone, but so was the shutout thanks to a Nick Swisher home run. I hit refresh another time and POW, an ARod home run had made it 6-2. I quickly shoved my phone back into my pocket before Robinson Cano hit a 5-run homer to give the Yankees the lead. While I was eating my salad, my son blurts out 'whats the score', which my wife got a kick out of because he wasn't really using good manners, something both he and his sister are working on, but also because she felt thats what I got for exposing them to so much sports. Funny thing was, his tone totally resonated with me so I shot back with 'after I eat my salad' and we were done, until I had in fact, finished my salad. I sheepishly took the phone out and hit refresh, and it was now 9-2, all was well en route to a much needed win to end the series.

I'm in no way excited, but maybe, just maybe if I don't follow the next few games as closely as I have been, there will be a string of wins ahead (oh and by the way, great start by Jon Lester and I AM still being hopeful about David Ortiz turning it around...and I'd write more but ironically enough, I got a trade offer to acquire Dallas Braden in one of my fantasy leagues, so I better tend to that before the offer gets pulled of the table!)

No comments:

Post a Comment