Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Game 35 - Red Sox v. Blue Jays (@Toronto)

Tough loss today given the goings on in the 9th inning with Dale Scott blowing not one, but two calls. I've always had Scott next to Tim Tschida (he of the 'Knobby' comment in the postgame interview of a 1999 playoff game between the Yankees and the Red Sox, pictured here), as one of my least favorite MLB umpires, and he came through in spades today. The video from MLB.com really shows it all, from the horrible called strike 3 against Papi on a ball 8" off the outside edge, to the pathetic called strike on a check swing by Adrian Beltre immediately after that. Obviously these calls didn't cost the Red Sox the game, but they sure didn't help either. Boston.com has a nice graphic of it too, I love that this data is available for anyone to see now, hopefully it keeps umpires a little more honest.

So that was the game, now time to both praise MLB and knock them...first the sugar. I'm glad that mlb.com had the video that I linked to above, it would have been easy for them to edit out the questionable calls, especially since with all the replays and strike zone graphics, you can really see how bad the called 3rd strike is. So kudos to them for showing the video even though it makes one of their employees look...well, not so good. Now for the vinegar...why can't these coders over there get a freaking embed button on their video player so I can just put the video on my blog? Is this some kind of legal issue or just blatant omission from their video player? And even if it is a legal issue (because I know its not a technical issue), can we at least get a button to get the link to the actual video guys? They have buttons to post to Facebook, Twitter, Digg or even email it to someone, but no place to just get the damn link and copy it (I had to email it to myself to get the link for this blog). C'mon mlb.com, you're making the guys at espn.com look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment