Thursday, June 3, 2010

Game 55 - Red Sox v. A's (@Fenway)

I'm not sure if it's the fact that they've been playing against generally weaker teams, or the break (and eventual poor performance) from the Celtics, too much stuff going on at work, or just a sneak peek at what the dog days of summer will be like, but man is it hard to get up for writing this blog lately.

I flipped over to the MLB network during a commercial break of the Celtics/Lakers game tonight (I needed something to take the pain away from watching the Celtics get manhandled by the Lakers, especially by the Laker's defense....yikes, did I really just type that?). I saw the 'full highlights' including two monster shots from Curt Suzuki and two guys getting thrown out at the plate (first Victor Martinez, then Darnell MacDonald). It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, but I feel like this team is pretty uninteresting right now. They've righted the ship since the poor start, but they're not quite red hot either, even the stats from May that I wrote about a few days ago were good, but not spectacular. Maybe it was the fact that after the super slow start (which was a good story in a weird way), I was expecting either a continued decline or a massive turnaround. And while there have been some players with massive turnarounds (Big Papi and Jon Lester to name two), it hasn't happened as a team to the point where it's gripping me to catch the score every day to see who's doing what.

It may actually be related to the Celtics season, where they were completely flat for the last 50 games of the regular season, and then have been on complete fire through the playoffs (well, except for tonight). There's part of me that's waiting for that same kind of explosion from the Red Sox, but it hasn't happened yet.

A weekend series against the Orioles certainly doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that will turn me around...

No comments:

Post a Comment